Liability Reform 2019 Session Paper
Jul 18, 2019
The cost of liability insurance is an increasing burden on the business community. The overall economy suffers when productivity and growth are slowed by excessive litigation, which discourages risk-taking and slows the introduction of new products and technologies.
We urge the legislature to:
- Defend against legislation that would create new causes of action and allow for further lawsuit abuse.
- Provide adequate funding to the courts so that cases may be heard and resolved in an efficient and timely manner.
- Enact laws to limit lawsuit abuse and reduce the practice of using courts to regulate business.
- Advance proposals to help resolve cases faster and increase the fairness and predictability of the civil justice system.
- Support legislation that makes the reward proportional to the defendant’s fault, limits defendants to only responsible parties, and maximizes compensation for the plaintiff versus the lawyers.
- 5 Things
- Business Hacks
- Coalition Policy
- COVID-19 Response
- Eastside Business Alliance
- In the News
- Member News
- Olympia Update
- Policy Positions
- Press Release
- Thought Leadership