The cost of liability insurance is an increasing burden on the business community. The overall economy suffers when productivity and growth are slowed by excessive litigation, which discourages risk-taking and slows the introduction of new products and technologies.
We urge the legislature to:
- Defend against legislation that would create new causes of action and allow for further lawsuit abuse.
- Provide adequate funding to the courts so that cases may be heard and resolved in an efficient and timely manner.
- Enact laws to limit lawsuit abuse and reduce the practice of using courts to regulate business.
- Advance proposals to help resolve cases faster and increase the fairness and predictability of the civil justice system.
- Support legislation that makes the reward proportional to the defendant’s fault, limits defendants to only responsible parties, and maximizes compensation for the plaintiff versus the lawyers.