Bellevue Chamber Helps Launch 17 New Start-up Companies
Apr 10, 2018
|2018 Young Entrepreneurs Academy Class|
Yes, these 17 amazing sparks of inspiration to fill unique niches or grab opportunities have been created by 24 young entrepreneurs! Students in the 6th-12th grades have participated in a 30-week intensive hands-on business course called Young Entrepreneurs Academy. This year’s cohort is our fifth graduating class. In all, over 62 companies have been launched through the Bellevue Chamber.
Students pitched their business ideas to an investor panel of judges last week. The judges awarded $4,500 to the companies to help with their start-up costs. “I thought the presentations were amazing, with well thought out and innovative ideas. I was most impressed with the students’ ability to articulate their vision and execute on a plan,” said Diane Najm, CEO/President, PhotoPad for Business, who participated as a judge.
The investor panel selected Neil Chowdhury, CEO of iConverge to represent Bellevue to advance to the 10th Annual YEA! Saunders Scholars National Semi-Finals College Scholarship competition May 4 in Rochester, New York. Neil is an 8th grader at Odle Middle School and his product is truly meaningful, making life better for those with similar life challenges. iConverge is a cross-platform app that treats patients with double vision cheaply and efficiently and in a way that’s a lot more fun. It wasn’t until last year that Neil realized he had been born with double vision. He didn’t think the paper exercises he was given were very interesting, so he launched his concept for iConverge. Neil has already developed his mobile platform of eye exercises and is working with a local optometrist to use his platform for other patients.
Meet these budding new entrepreneurs and learn more about their enterprises at the YEA! Student Business Trade Show and Graduation on May 9 from 4:00-5:30pm at the Bellevue Chamber offices.
Here’s a peek at this year’s companies:
- Ohider Pet Care is a website and app that connects pet owners and veterinarians.
- Zoompark makes parking more affordable and convenient through an app which lets you reserve a spot and pay for it.
- AutoMathics is an educational website which helps children and adults improve their mental math skills.
- Trouvi Trackers is a company that creates fashionable and compact trackers with the purpose of making trackers like accessories, optional but very needed.
- The Paper Bag creates eco-friendly skincare products made to help you live sustainably.
- Unfold the World is an innovative non-profit that helps underserved students experience the world. It not only funds field trips but helps disadvantaged students join excursions at other schools.
- G^2 is a sports equipment company that sells specialized golf grips.
- Here comes the Shocc team. They are trying to make sports equipment more efficient for players.
- Still Mind is a non-profit that provides mental health technology.
- Plug Hug is a hardware company offering a device that screws into a wall socket to prevent power cords from falling out.
- Wardroballot is an application helping people decide on outfits and keep their closets organized that aims to connect people through fashion.
- Fuerza is a non-profit centered around empowering women and teaching them more about their rights. Fuerza works with colleges and high schools to create chapters that propel the women’s rights movement through the sales of their unique charm bracelets.
- Immigrant Nation is a non-profit corporation building a resources center for new immigrants in the United States.
- Bellevue RoboClinic is a non-profit organization that teaches robotics to kids in underfunded schools in Washington.
- Politikids offers a website that inspires activism along with awareness in kids.
- Boxfull is an on-demand/subscription box for school supplies; sports; self-care.
- 5 Things
- Business Hacks
- Coalition Policy
- COVID-19 Response
- Eastside Business Alliance
- In the News
- Member News
- Olympia Update
- Policy Positions
- Press Release
- Thought Leadership